The African American Intellectual History Society (AAIHS) has launched its 2019 “Back to School” fundraiser! The AAIHS is a scholarly organization that aims to foster dialogue about researching, writing, and teaching Black thought and culture. The organization also publishes our popular and award-winning blog, Black Perspectives, the leading online platform for public scholarship on global Black thought, history, and culture.
Accessibility is one of the key values of AAIHS. As a non-profit, 501c3 organization, the AAIHS strives to make both online and offline content available to everyone inside and outside of the academy. As a result, Black Perspectives is free, and annual AAIHS membership is only $40 per year. Moreover, the cost to attend an AAIHS conference is less than $100 — a fee much smaller than most other academic conferences.
In order to keep these costs low and content accessible, we need your help. Over the next year, AAIHS would like to build a financial foundation that ensures continued free access to Black Perspectives (including articles, interviews, and online roundtables) and to continue to support current Black thinkers via our awards and prizes.
All donations will go to the following:
- Paid internships for undergraduate and graduate students working with Black Perspectives blog
- Funding to several awards and prizes, including the C.L.R. James Fellowships, for research towards the completion of a dissertation or publication of a book, and the Pauli Murray Book Prize, for the best book in Black intellectual history.
- Defraying costs for students and local organizations to attend the annual conference
- Funding the annual AAIHS conference
- Website maintenance, security, and accessibility