Application Deadline–December 15, 2020
The African American Intellectual History Society (AAIHS) is pleased to announce the 2021 C.L.R. James Research Fellowship to support research towards the completion of a dissertation or publication of a book. Named after Afro-Trinidadian theorist C.L.R. James, the research fellowships are intended to promote research in Black intellectual history by graduate students, independent scholars, and faculty members at any rank. Two fellowships of $2000 will be awarded this year to help cover the costs of domestic or international travel necessary to conduct research. In recognition of the ongoing challenges associated with COVID-19 and the difficulties of domestic and international travel, recipients of this year’s awards may use the funds for any research-related expense (i.e. to purchase books or other files needed for research projects). The award will be announced formally at the AAIHS Conference. Membership in AAIHS is required. Current AAIHS board members are not eligible.
All application materials should be received by December 15, 2020 (by 11:59pm EST). Please send the following documents in a single PDF document: short c.v. (no more than 3 pages), 3-5 page project proposal (double-spaced), budget, and arrange to have one letter of recommendation sent to email@example.com as an email attachment in Microsoft Word or PDF.
Applicants will be notified in March 2021. Funds must be used by December 30, 2021. Recipients will be required to submit a detailed report to the conference chair. Graduate student applicants must have passed their qualifying exams.
2021 CLR James Research Fellowship Committee
- Dr. Garrett Felber, University of Mississippi (Committee Chair)
- Dr. Ashley D. Farmer, University of Texas at Austin
- Dr. Devyn Spence Benson, Davidson College
*All submissions and questions about the 2021 CLR James Research Fellowship should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Maegan Miller, Graduate Center, CUNY
- Zifeng Liu, Cornell University
- Charisse Burden-Stelly, Carleton College
- Alysia Mann Carey, University of Chicago
- Richard D. Benson II, Spelman College
- Christina C. Davidson, Duke University
- Naomi Extra, Rutgers University-Newark
- Crystal Eddins, Michigan State University
- Garrett Felber, University of Michigan
- Brian Lefresne, University of Guelph
- Merve Fejzula, University of Cambridge