Application Deadline–November 15, 2023
The African American Intellectual History Society (AAIHS) is pleased to announce the 2024 C.L.R. James Research Fellowship to support research towards the completion of a dissertation or publication of a book. Named after Afro-Trinidadian theorist C.L.R. James, the research fellowships are intended to promote research in Black intellectual history by graduate students, independent scholars, and faculty members at any rank. Two fellowships of $2000 will be awarded this year to help cover the costs of domestic or international travel necessary to conduct research. In recognition of the ongoing challenges associated with COVID-19 and the difficulties of domestic and international travel, recipients of this year’s awards may use the funds for any research-related expense (i.e. to purchase books or other files needed for research projects). The award will be announced formally at the AAIHS Conference. Membership in AAIHS is required. Current AAIHS board members are not eligible.
All application materials should be received by November 15, 2023 (by 11:59pm EST). Please send the following documents in a single PDF document: short c.v. (no more than 3 pages), 3-5 page project proposal (double-spaced), budget, and arrange to have one letter of recommendation sent to firstname.lastname@example.org as an email attachment in Microsoft Word or PDF.
Applicants will be notified in Spring 2024. Funds must be used by December 30, 2024. Recipients will be required to submit a detailed report to the conference chair. Graduate student applicants must have passed their qualifying exams.
2023-2024 CLR James Research Fellowship Committee
Chair: Dr. Stephanie Y. Evans
Professor and Director
Institute for Women’s, Gender, & Sexuality Studies (WGSS)
Georgia State University
Willa Liburd Tavernier
Research Impact & Open Scholarship Librarian
Indiana University Library
Dr. Melissa Ford
Slippery Rock University
*All submissions and questions about the CLR James Research Fellowship should be sent to email@example.com.
- Matt Randolph, Stanford University
- Yolanda Mackey, Penn State University
- Danielle Phillips-Cunningham, Texas Woman’s University
- Sophia Monegro, University of Texas at Austin
- Aleia M. Brown, University of Maryland, College Park
- Felicia Denaud, Brown University
- Maegan Miller, Graduate Center, CUNY
- Zifeng Liu, Cornell University
- Charisse Burden-Stelly, Carleton College
- Alysia Mann Carey, University of Chicago
- Richard D. Benson II, Spelman College
- Christina C. Davidson, Duke University
- Naomi Extra, Rutgers University-Newark
- Crystal Eddins, Michigan State University
- Garrett Felber, University of Michigan
- Brian Lefresne, University of Guelph
- Merve Fejzula, University of Cambridge